Wednesday, November 30, 2016

GOP Elector Refuses To Vote Trump, Quits, Criticizes ‘Corrupted’ Electoral College

Image result for trump pictures
US President-elect, Donald Trump
A Texas Republican elector who stated before the Nov. 8 election he might refuse to vote for Donald Trump — should he be elected — has resigned, stating he cannot “in good conscience” vote for the president-elect.
Art Sisneros, one of 38 electors representing the State of Texas, has publicly flirted with the idea of refusing his duty as an elector to cast his ballot for Trump during next month’s electoral college voting.
In a blog post published Saturday on his website, Sisneros announced he is quitting, and also denounced the electoral college as being “corrupted from its original intent,” and said voting for Trump would “bring dishonor to God.”
“Since I can’t in good conscience vote for Donald Trump, and yet have sinfully made a pledge that I would, the best option I see at this time is to resign my position as an elector,” Sisneros wrote.
The Texas GOP elector continued, “This will allow the remaining body of electors to fill my vacancy when they convene on Dec. 19 with someone that can vote for Trump.”
Sisneros further added: “I do not see how Donald Trump is biblically qualified to serve in the office of the presidency. Of the hundreds of angry messages that I have received, not one has made a convincing case from Scripture otherwise. If Trump is not qualified and my role, both morally and historically, as an elected official is to vote my conscience, then I cannot and will not vote for Donald Trump for president.”
“In most homes, kids do not have the right to eat Skittles for dinner. It is not in their best interest,” he wrote.
“The people will get their vote. They will get their Skittles for dinner,” he explained, while stating he will feel relieved knowing he had no part in the decision to allow “children” to eat “skittles for dinner.”
“This will allow the remaining body of Electors to fill my vacancy when they convene on Dec 19 with someone that can vote for Trump. The people will get their vote,” he added. “I will sleep well at night knowing I neither gave in to their demands nor caved to my convictions. I will also mourn the loss of our republic.”
Sisneros told Politico in August he was considering becoming a so-called faithless elector.
In a previous blog post, the elector questioned Trump’s Christian faith.
“The most important aspect that I have noticed is that Christians, who have traditionally voted Republican, have been forced to deal with an identity crisis. Can they vote for a man like Donald Trump who barely pretends to hold to the true faith?” he wrote.
Later in the lengthy post, Sisneros concluded, “It seems clear to me that God both calls me to vote and directs me to only vote for men who fear Him and are just according to God’s law.”
State electors, minus Mr. Sisneros, will meet on Dec. 19 to formally cast their votes for president.
Some, including Huffington Post contributor Ani DiFranco, are urging electors to reject the will of the voters in their respective states and vote for former Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
Read more at Western Journalism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...